STRIPE stands for "Strategies and Tactics for Retention through Inclusive Promotion Evaluation." STRIPE Workshops are designed to assist faculty members serving on promotion and tenure committees with the process of reviewing candidates for promotion in a fair and equitable manner. There are numerous practices and procedures that are well ingrained, yet allow for systemic bias to the evaluation process. This workshop provides participants with evidence-based recommendations for P&T committee members.
The “R” in STRIPE stands for “retention.” The promotion process is closely tied to departmental climate and related retention efforts. Faculty are more likely to view the departmental climate in a favorable way if they feel that the expectations for promotion are transparent, and they feel that their own promotion case was handled in a fair and equitable way. The inverse is also true. Faculty who believe that the process was unfair or feel that their records were not reviewed fairly are more likely than others to consider leaving the institution (or academia), even if they have a favorable outcome in the end.
The “I” in STRIPE stands for “inclusivity.” Biased and unfair practices can affect all faculty, but they tend to have disproportionate impacts on faculty from traditionally underrepresented and minoritized groups, and/or faculty working in newly emerging research areas. The impacts can be compounded for faculty who have multiple minoritized identities (i.e. a woman in a male-dominated discipline (or department) who is from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group and whose research is in an emerging area of research).
We are in the process of building our workshop schedule for Fall 2021. This is the tentative schedule for workshops through October 2021:
- Wednesday, August 11th, 10:00 am - 12:00 pm (via Zoom)
- Friday, August 20th, 1-3:00 pm (via Zoom)
- Thursday, August 26th, 10:00 am - 12:00 pm (via Zoom)
- Thursday, September 2nd, 3-5:00 pm (via Zoom)
- Friday, September 10th, 1-3:00 pm (via Zoom)
- Monday, September 13th, 10:00 - 12:00 pm (via Zoom)
- Thursday, September 23rd, 10:00 - 12:00 am (via Zoom)
- Tuesday, October 5th, 2-4:00 pm (In person, Location TBD on main campus)
Note: Workshops will appear in TrainTraq after the schedule has been finalized. We anticipate that the schedule will be finalized in mid-July.
STRIPE Development Committee
STRIPE Workshop was designed and created by a sub-committee of Texas A&M faculty who have been serving as members of the STRIDE Committee (recently renamed to the ADVANCE Workshop Committee):
- Rebecca Schlegel (Co-Chair), College of Liberal Arts
- Ben Wu (Co-Chair), College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Debjyoti Banerjee, College of Engineering
- Sarbajit Banerjee, College of Science/College of Engineering
- Yava Jones-Hall, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
- Lisako McKyer, School of Public Health
- Idia Thurston, College of Liberal Arts/School of Public Health
- Cynthia Werner, College of Liberal Arts/ADVANCE