/ Diversity Champions
"Diversity is being invited to the party. Inclusion is being asked to dance."
What is an ADVANCE Diversity Champion?
The ADVANCE Diversity Champion designation is a special recognition at Texas A&M University designed to identify and celebrate individuals who are making meaningful contributions to diversity and inclusion efforts at Texas A&M. In other words, it is a designation that recognizes those who are metaphorically sending out those invitations AND asking people to dance, and thus helping to change the institutional culture at Texas A&M. This designation is a recognition of individual efforts, not an award. By documenting those individuals who are making a difference, this designation serves as a micro-affirmation to counter the micro-aggressions that faculty from underrepresented groups experience on a regular basis.
Given that the mission of ADVANCE focuses on advancing diversity, inclusion and success of Texas A&M Faculty, this recognition is limited to:
(a) faculty who contribute to diversity and inclusion efforts at Texas A&M University, and
(b) staff, administrators and students who support diversity and inclusion efforts that benefit faculty at Texas A&M University.
There is no single requirement or expectation for an individual to be designated as an ADVANCE Diversity Champion. Indeed, individual contributions may vary depending on an individual's job title, responsibilities, and rank. The list below highlights the types of activities that Diversity Champions are likely to be doing:
- Take an active role in mentoring undergraduate students from underrepresented groups;
- Take an active role in mentoring graduate students from underrepresented groups;
- Serve as a role model for undergraduate and graduate students;
- Demonstrate a commitment to reducing implicit bias in faculty searches;
- Demonstrate a commitment to reducing implicit bias in faculty promotion and tenure cases;
- Demonstrate a commitment to reducing implicit bias in the selection of faculty nominated for awards;
- Serve on departmental, college, and/or university task forces which require meaningful contributions to diversity, equity, inclusion, and climate;
- Help provide a welcoming and inclusive environment for faculty from underrepresented groups;
- Implement inclusive pedagogical approaches in courses;
- Participate in social justice activities on campus and beyond.
Nominating an ADVANCE Diversity Champion
If you would like to nominate yourself or somebody else as an ADVANCE Diversity Champion, please complete this form
. Please write the Diversity Champion Statement in 3rd person. The text box is limited to 500 characters.
Each nomination will be reviewed and approved by the ADVANCE office before being added to the searchable database below. Questions about the nomination process should be directed to email@example.com.
ADVANCE Diversity Champions